Tuesday, March 23, 2010

It helps to understand the problem.

It started 4 years ago. I took some medicine for 3 months, but it didn't ever go away.
I should have gone back about 2 years ago, but I kept putting it off.
I thought I was tougher,
I thought it would go away,
I thought I could ignore it.
I figured that since medicine didn't work last time, why would I waste efforts and money on it again?
Well, 24 months of moderate annoyance and I finally hauled my butt to the doctor this morning to check out a problem I've been having with my foot.
An hour wait at the clinic, and a 15 minute chat with a friendly man who reminded me of a viking in Santa Claus' body - and I figured out what was happening with my foot, and how we could make it go away.
Huh.
Well, that was easy.

The doctor was smart. He can recognize symptoms. He knows what's going on under the surface. He knows how to fix it from the inside out, not just slap a bandaid on it. He gave me his time to answer my questions and concerns.

I walked out of the clinic knowing what was going on, and how go about fixing the problem.
CLARITY is AMAZING.

...and then: REALIZATION!
Life makes sense when we understand what's going on.
Our problems are much more manageable when we can understand what's happening.
It helps to understand the problem: physical problems, emotional problems, mental problems, spiritual problems.
First we have to realize: there is a problem here.
Then we have to admit it.
Then we should muster up enough bravery to ask for help!
It's not a weakness thing - it takes strength to reach out for answers, I've learned!
And here's the beautiful thing: we are made to help each other along.
Just as my doctor this morning was so wise in identifying my foot issue, there are people alongside us in life that have gone through similar things, wrestled through them and have claimed victory. PRAISE GOD! I don't think I know one person who has experienced life-problems and solved everything by themself. It's such a beautiful thing of community and family to share wisdom and to be strengthened, encouraged, enlightened and challenged by brothers and sisters. HONESTLY! What a great idea! -- Thank you God!

Then, once we "get it" - the road to victory isn't so much covered in fog anymore. It could still be rocky and difficult... but not as much fog.

It takes courage.
It takes humilty.
We're not always tough enough.
Things don't always just go away.
It comes to a point where we can't ignore it anymore.
And even if people have failed us before, it's a good idea to dare to reach out again.

I dare you.
It helps to understand the problem.

1 comment:

  1. Have you been reading Dotto's blog this week? Because if not... that's pretty stinking cool... and if you have... well, community's all about sharing ideas and figuring things out together, right? :)

    http://grand-adventures-of-the-dot.blogspot.com/2010/03/culture-shockreally.html

    ReplyDelete