Wednesday, June 5, 2013

True confession.

"The first rule of writing is, never write what you know!"
- Jo March, of Little Women

I have been absent from writing as of late. I have this tendency... it's called, well, pride. And it translates often to me not journaling or writing because I feel like I've got to have things figured out before I put it on paper, because who know who will read it. There is this other tendency... people pleasing. Gotta make everyone think I have it all together. I remember wrestling with this since I was a teenager, playing the role of Sarah-super-Christian, especially as a summer Bible camp staff member.

Sarah: who has it all together, who has to be a super example.
Sarah: who seems to regularly end up in a leadership/pastoring position of young people. And needs to set a good example and be without reproach.
Sarah: needs to DAILY let go of these expectations! GAH!

I so enjoy writing - be it in a journal, or on a blog. I've learned that I process best introvert style - writing it out, in addition to Andrew being my verbal journal. But maybe I've not let myself share the process of figuring things out lately. This is something I want to overcome and be okay with communicating, humbly, evidently, that not everything has to be figured out all the time before I communicate it. Also, this gives other people permission to not have it together.

So here's to keeping it real. Again.


No comments:

Post a Comment