Saturday, August 29, 2009

A Plea

Dear people,

You need to know that I am regular.
I am normal, average.
I am 23 years old. I brush my teeth twice a day. I don't shower daily. I never sleep with socks. Sometimes I make my bed. Recently I haven't been cooking regularly/eating well, but I am committing to starting in September. I don't really like dogs. Sometimes I throw food out instead of composting. Same with cardboard. I have gross feet. Sometimes I swear, accidentally. Sometimes not accidentally. I am a people pleaser. I really struggle with being cynical, especially towards wealth.

But I get put on a pedestal. By lots of people. Lots of times.
I don't know why.
They think I do good things. They think they can't do what I do. They think I'm deeper, stronger, somehow more than them.

WELL I'M NOT.
I do things that God leads and gifts me to do. I cannot boast in that, only of in Christ in me. So please don't boast in that for me.
I can't do what you do. Obviously, we cannot all do the same things. Thankfully.
I'm no deeper, no stronger, and in no way more than anyone else.
So please don't think that I am.

Because when you do, I am alienated.
Put away on a different level, on an 'unrelatable level', on that fancy pedestal.
And I have so far to fall when you realize that I'm just a regular person.

I am relatable. Please, let me relate to you.
I want to, I crave to, I need to.

Because when you put me up high, I'm alienated.
And when I'm alienated, I'm so, so lonely.
And when lonliness sets in, my personal world is so bleak.
Please let me be 'just Sarah'.

Thank you, you have no idea how much.
From, Sarah

2 comments:

  1. this is a very real, deep post.
    thank you for your honesty.
    and God has given you talents, gifts and strengths Sarah. and we use those and help poeple with those, and God has blessed you with amazing talents; keep using them and letting God use you to change peoples lives.
    I'm praying for you and i do miss you.
    and i'm thankful that i got to spend a week learning from you and what God has taught you; i feel blessed.
    -Britnee

    ReplyDelete
  2. AAHHHH! I'm so excited to tell stories with you. :) I find you very relatable, Miss Sarah Hill. You are beautiful inside and out simply because of your obedience to Christ. I'm glad to know you as a sister in Christ. :) See you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete