Wednesday, August 12, 2009

THE RES


Broken.
Void.
Empty:
of attention
of love
of care.
Set aside by our country,
our government,
Forgotten about,
not cared about.
Seen only is the alcohol, the abuse, the brokeness,
and not given a second thought of hope.
Why so desolate?
You take away their culture,
their ways,
their lifestyle.
Press your ways on them
Foreign.
Unhealthy.
Unwanted.
DESTROYING their souls,
their families,
their humanity...
...humans.
Broken humans,
now generations deep in the syndrome.
'How do I cope?
How do I deal,
How do I heal?
The bottle.
Numbing the reality I've come to hate,
the reality I call my life,
the life I cannot escape.'
Houses from the third world,
toys littered,
cars burned,
windows boarded.
She has no yard, so she plays in muddy street puddles.
His family is living in a tent because their is no roof over their head.
Nine years old and the colours of his gang are his outward identity.
Her face so twisted from her mother's poor decisions during pregnancy,
lisped speech
snotty nose
and all she wants to do is twirl, twirl, twirl.
LOVE.
hope to trust, and
trust to hope.
Beauty in the broken,
Flourishing in love.
And when she smiles at me, everything is worth it.
Hungry bellies; no food in the cupboards.
Hurt hearts; no one to accept them.
Permanently angry; only rejection.
JESUS CHRIST,
Hope. Healer.
Restorer. Rebuilder.
Lavishing love,
Joy giver,
Burden carrier.
Takes surrender,
and turns it into pure life.

2 comments:

  1. AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

    OH Sarah, I'm taking an Aboriginal education class RIGHT NOW and wrestling through these issues with my fellow future teachers and in the classroom it's easy to hope that it's not actually that bad... that hopefully the worst of it is behind us and that it ended with our ancestors... but I know it's not true. There's SO much need here in our backyard... so close to home. It's such a dark chapter to our country and I hope, I Hope, I HOPE that our generation will have eyes to see First Nations people as PEOPLE. People who are caught up in the cycle of poverty and struggling to recover from generations of mistreatment and oppression. *sigh* oh Lord, please give our generation wisdom and a heart of generosity and understanding.

    Thank you for sharing this small piece of your time on the reserve, Sarah. You are a precious gem and would you please save me some time (like when we went on a mini hike to the beach) either during youth camp or before or after? Much love to you, my friend. :) <3 A

    ReplyDelete