Thursday, June 4, 2009

Rediscovered Beauty: Outside of the City Limits

This weekend I had the pleasure of busting free of this city I have grown to love and call home, and retreating to the sweet Guest House at Camp Qwanoes on Vancouver Island.
There are a number of tidbits that I would like to share with my invisible audience. Please take note.

It's funny. I proclaimed myself as a sold out city girl - lights, bridges, infinite coffee shops, rollerblading oppertunities, parks, unique people and culture groups, new hobbies and interests, public transit, and of course the people group that I have become my community, friends and family.
Well. As soon as I stepped out onto that 100 year old front porch, as soon as I left my shoes on the door mat and sauntered outside barefoot, as soon as I grew accustomed to the peacefulness of the calm quietness, as soon as I stared up into the trees from my hammock, and spent two nights sleeping in my tent, it hit me.

This is where I am from.
This is what I grew up with.
This is what shaped me.

...the country.

The beauty of natural nature trumps the man made lakes, specifically positioned trees and manicured flower beds.
Waking up to the birds is the best alarm clock I've heard in 5 months.
My ear plugs layed unused for two nights - the only two nights since January 7th.
Barefoot is best, no matter the dirt stains and cracked heels.
A nap in a hammock is by far the most satisfying way to relax.
Tromping through the forest is the best way to get from Point A to Point B.
Stars, I am convinced, are a direct way for God to communicate His glory to us.
The ocean as a backdrop makes life feel magnificent.
As much as I love Vancouver, my first love in BC is truly the Island, and I have a feeling I might live there some day.

I am back in the city. I parallel parked on the street, double checked to make sure my doors were locked, climbed 3 sets of stairs to my back door, played frisbee in a park that used to be wildgrass and am currently listening to the wiz of vehicals as they fly down Knight St, twenty feet from my building.

I love this bustling city.
But I sure do love my roots in the peaceful country, and now, for the first time in five months, I am willing to recognize these roots as good.

No comments:

Post a Comment