Friday, January 8, 2010

Once upon a time in 2009...

[Ever since age 19, it is tradition of my brother Mark Klausen and I to list all the significant things that happened in the previous year. In no particular order, here is year #5]

1. Packed up life into 2 suit cases, said goodbye to family and friends and moved across the country.
2. Discovered Craigslist.
3. Was blessed by community providing for each other.
4. Drove a minivan filled with children for 8 months.
5. Discovered 50% off day at Value Village
6. Learned how to share possessions with my community.
7. Collected 15yrs worth of National Geographics.
8. Painted my dresser bright yellow.
9. Learned Vancouver.
10. Travelled to Ontario, Alberta, Oregon, Seattle, Whistler, the Island.
11. Went hiking approximately 30 times.
12. Slept in a tent 3 times, all post summer.
13. Lived in 3 different apartments.
14. Slept in approximately 15 different beds.
15. Owned my first car, which I was given for free.
16. Worked 4 different jobs.
17. Got to know an incredibly loved, awesome group of kids in East Vancouver.
18. Decided that I don't necessarily want to be single for the rest of my life.
19. Only bought produce at markets.
20. ...but did not become "organic".
21. Was pick pocketed and lost all my ID except my passport.
22. Got a Mac.
23. Rediscovered Dr. Suess.
24. Discovered poetry slams.
25. Worked for a week on a Native reserve in Alberta.
26. Had a passion explode for kids and youth on reserves.
27. Sat on Cannon Beach, Oregon and listened to Journey on repeat.
28. Spent so many sunny afternoons lying on a blanket at Trout Lake.
29. Fell in love with Commercial Drive.
30. Broke a lots wooden rings.
31. Travelled by bicycle a lot.
32. Watched summer sunsets from Kitts beach.
33. Was visited by Mom, Darrell & Karen, Jim & Bonnie, Brian, Mike Kelly, Bec, Lorae, Krista and Laura.
34. Went 6 months without seeing some of my family.
35. Lived in a ghetto junkhole apartment.
36. Ate uncountable Bon's $2.95 breakfasts.
37. Went horseback riding.
38. Met my childhood penpal from Germany.
39. Ate a lot of sushi and slushies.
40. Started a led Outer's Club - getting city kids outside!
41. Did an after school program.
42. Drove from Lethbridge - Vancouver, 14 straight hrs (including a speeding ticket, boooo.)
43. Spent 2 weeks at wonderful Camp Qwanoes.
44. Biked the seawall at Stanley Park probably 10 times.
45. Wrote poems.
46. Signed my first cell phone contract.
47. Filled a lot of journal space.
48. Possibly experienced love.
49. Broke a heart, and mine too.
50. Was the most lonely I've ever been.
51. Unemployed.
52. Gave it my all, but saw few outcomes.
53. Burnt out.
54. Broken, hopeless, stressed out, anxious, scared.
55. Considered giving up.
56. Saved by grace, sustained by God.
57. Was a bridesmaid in a dear friend's wedding.
58. Had to smile through a wedding I wasn't a fan of.
59. Went to 3 weddings and 2 funerals.
60. Decided to leave 2009 in 2009, and fully embraced the calender change.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment